Friday, May 4, 2012


Last Friday, April 20, 2012, I got a call from my mom.  She was frantic.  My grandfather, Kikito had fallen in his driveway and gashed the back of his head.  He was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  My parents flew out Saturday.  I kept receiving updates from them and from a family member who is a neurologist, Gishlaine.  They moved him to San Juan for further testing.  Sunday, I received a text from Gishlaine with medical terms and the word deteriorating.  My heart sunk.  I asked what that meant and if I needed to buy a plane ticket.  She told me yes.  By that evening the three of us were on a plane going to PR.  He was in a coma.  Turned out he had a brain anuerism.  Monday, we got to the hospital and it wasn't visiting hours yet.  We begged and they finally let me see him.  I said goodbye, told him I loved him, gave him a kiss on the cheek and said goodbye.  Worst day!

I never thought, when I was a little girl, that I would lose two people that I loved so much.  My grandmother, Calla, would fly in twice a year and stay at least a month with us.  Best months of the year was when she was with us.  Then, my parents would send me to PR in the summers to spend it with them.  My grandfather took me to eat fresh sea food every weekend while we were there and spent quality time with me. Now, those were incredible summers.  Those two spoiled me with their love, time, guidance, you name it.  As a matter of fact, when I got engaged, the first person I called was Calla.  I had to tell her to wake up my grandfather and I told them on the phone together.  Having them at my wedding together to enjoy our special day was the biggest blessing that God could have given me.  I will be eternally grateful for everything they both instilled in my incredible mom that she passed down to me and they had the pleasure of instilling in me as well.  They taught me to be ambitious, make something of my life, know the real reasons to live for and to always love your family above everything, and the morals and values that I will pass onto my children.

Kikito was the hardest worker I have ever met.  He had his own business and was friends with everyone.  Everyone loved him.   His wife adored him, admired him, and was happy when he'd walk into the room.  He was strict and a man of incredible character.  He loved and adored his wife and I hope my marriage with Travis is as strong as theirs.  Such an example of true love through the toughest moments.  I was so blessed to say that I had two people that were always there for me even when distance separated us.  Distance meant nothing to us because I always knew the love they had for me and the love I had for them.  I adored them.

These last couple of weeks have been devastating in more ways than one.  I never want people to feel the pain my family and I have been through.  We also would have never made it through this without my dad's sister, Titi Laly.  She has been our angel here on earth.  As well as my mom's cousins and my mom's best friend Glorianne for providing so much love and positivity for my mom.  Eddie, you are incredible and such a patient and honorable man.  We have received so much love and support from friends and family.  It has been incredible.  My husband's support and love has meant the world to me as well as my work family who have been outstanding.

One thing I do know is that God will never give us anything we can't handle and things happen for a reason.  This isn't going to break us, but hopefully make the bond that I have with my parents and with each other stronger for being there for each other.  We are a family and we will get through this.  I'm just blessed to have had them both in my life and it's a blessing knowing that they are up there together watching over us.  I now have 2 angels watching over us.  I love them and miss them dearly.
P.S. I forgot to thank someone super important!  Piti, thank you so much for being there with us and being there for my mom.  Thank you for trying to keep the peace throughout the difficult times.  We love you!  I think you are an amazing person and an amazing cousin.  I'm proud to have you in my life and so glad you are family.

P.P.S.  Thank you Tia Isabel for taking care of my grandfather since Calla passed away.  I know how much he enjoyed spending time with you, his adored sister.  He thought the world of you and your children.  Thank you for taking care of everything at the funeral home.  Thank you for all of your love and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment